Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Reply Not

"The godly think before speaking; the wicked spout evil words.” Proverbs15:28


Several weeks ago I opened up my blog to post my devotional, when there before me was my very first negative comment, left by an “Anonymous” writer. Their words were harsh, personal and very intentional.  Knowing their purpose was to throw darts, I couldn’t help but to put my computer down, hit my knees and cry out to the Lord.  

You see a year ago, my flesh would have taken over and I would have fought right back using my own harsh words. But today I didn’t and brethren as I sit here and type this, my heart is full, and my eyes are tear-filled, because today I am new, today I am changed, and today the Spirit within me had a far better idea and I followed His leading and placed it in the hands of the Lord.

Our God knows the very name of this person and He knows the very condition their heart was in when they wrote it. He also knew the hurt that would fill my heart. Because of our all-knowing God it made it that much easier for me to dust my feet and allow the Lord to tend to my heart and the heart of the person who wrote it.

There in that fetal position I asked the Lord to examine me. Examine my heart, my intentions and reveal to me if those words spoken from that “anonymous” writer were true, and if so than I cried out for the Lord to change me.

I got up leaving it all at the foot of the cross. Now understand those words spoken stirred within me, why, because words are so powerful, especially negative, hurtful words, but those words did not have control over me.

A few days later as I was lying in bed to go to sleep, God and I were having one of what I like to call “daddy daughter times” which are very intimate and precious times to me. It consists of me laying my head in the lap of my Father, while He gentle rubs my head and speaks love into my heart until I fall asleep.

I have to tell you this sweet daddy of ours, spoke a prayer into my heart for this “anonymous” writer that changed something in me that I can’t explain. It was as though I could hear and understand the words of the Holy Spirit as he interceded on my behalf. He spoke and said things that only He could. His words were so powerful so meaningful and so very loving. I knew in that moment God had brought me to a deeper place of Spiritual maturity as His child.

The godly think before speaking; the wicked spout evil words.” Proverbs 15:28

Do you struggle with your words? If so join me this week as we dive into the word of God allowing His words and mighty power to begin a work within us.

Prayer: Lord remind us how powerful our words are and the impact they make on the lives of those who hear them. Amen

0 comments: