Saturday, January 14, 2012

Still Wondering

"Be honest in your estimate of yourselves, measuring your value by how much faith God has given you." Romans 12:3

Yesterday I asked you how much faith God has given you? I am curious if you answered that question?

I pondered on that passage all night long. How much faith God has given you. It really is a powerful verse and a deep question.

This morning I looked into some parallels and wanted to share them with you, because if you are like me, you have to exhaust every area of understanding humanly possible.

Amplified- "For by the grace (unmerited favor of God) given to me I warn everyone among you not to estimate and think of himself more highly than he ought [not to have an exaggerated opinion of his own importance], but to rate his ability with sober judgment, each according to the degree of faith apportioned by God to him." Romans 12:3

The Message-(I really like this one) "I'm speaking to you out of deep gratitude for all that God has given me, and especially as I have responsibilities in relation to you. Living then, as every one of you does, in pure grace, it's important that you not misinterpret yourselves as people who are bringing this goodness to God. No, God brings it all to you. The only accurate way to understand ourselves is by what God is and by what he does for us, not by what we are and what we do for him." Romans 12:3


NASB-"For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith." Romans 12:3


NIV- "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you." Romans 12:3


Each translation brings a whole new meaning to the passage. I love it! 


I believe The Message brings it to a whole new level for me. "The only accurate way to understand ourselves is by what God IS and by what he does for us, NOT by what we are and what we do for him." 


Faith-knowing who God is and what He does for us. Wow!


Jesus thank You for the amount of faith I have been given, may it only increase from here to eternity. Amen





0 comments: