Wednesday, December 7, 2011

What will he think?

“Joseph, her fiancé, being a just man, decided to break the engagement quietly so as not to disgrace her publicly.” Matthew 1:18

Day 7- I hope you are enjoying being in the home of Mary and Joseph and are learning so much from their story. 

It is a beautiful day today, and Joseph and I have been praying for each of you. We hope you are enjoying your stay here in Nazareth. Just as we have been blessed, we know you too will be blessed for choosing to follow the Lord.

We must begin because we have so much to discuss.

I had just found out that I would become pregnant with the Child of God, being a virgin and engaged to be married to Joseph; I wondered how he would take such news. Little did I know at the time, God was already working it out, and I am glad because I love this man!

In our day for a man to marry a woman already pregnant would be shameful and humiliating.  You can only imagine when Joseph heard the news, what was going through his head. But my Joseph, oh where do I begin telling you how great my husband is. Joseph is a man of great integrity; he is sensitive to God’s guidance and is always willing to do God’s will no matter what the consequence is. Indeed I could go on and on, but I am going to let him share with you, his part of the story.

Joseph: Upon hearing the news, I decided it would be best if I quietly broke off the engagement, because I did not want to disgrace or embarrass Mary in anyway. (Matthew 1:19)

As I was considering my decision, I fell asleep, and an angel of the Lord appeared to me in my dream. “Joseph, son of David,” the angel said, “do not be afraid to go ahead with your marriage to Mary. For the child within her has been conceived by the Holy Spirit. And she will have a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” (Matthew 1:20-22) God knew exactly what He wanted, and He knew exactly how it needed to be done.

In that dream I received the exact guidance and wisdom I needed in making my decision. I received clarity and understanding of the entire situation, and it made me see Mary in a whole new way!  When I woke up I knew it would all be okay. I also realized that in taking Mary as my wife, I would become the earthly father of the Son of God.  Wow!

So I got up and did just as the angel of the Lord commanded and I married Mary. I brought her home as my wife!

Yes our situation is completely different from any other, but God’s direction for all of us is the same.  When we ask and seek Him, He will give us clarity, understanding, guidance, and wisdom to know exactly what to do. In every area of our lives we need and should seek the guidance and wisdom of God.  Solomon said it best, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6

He did for me, over and over again. Would you trust Him to do the same for you?

0 comments: